About Ms. LeFlore
Greetings! I'm Ms. LeFlore and I'm so happy to be part of the Minooka Community High School English Department! I am entering my 8th year of teaching and I'm excited to work with my students. This year, I will be teaching dual credit classes (English 101 and English 102), as well as English II and Greek Mythology & Folklore. I also have the pleasure of being the MCHS Book Club sponsor and Speech Team Assistant Coach. I believe in my students and want them be exceptional in every way. Thus, EXCELLENCE and SUCCESS are the goals in all of my classes. I can't wait for us to have a great time while also reaching our goals!
B.A. ~ Knox College (Galesburg, IL)
- Major: Education
- Minor #1: English Literature
- Minor #2: Theatre
M.A. ~ University College London (London, England)
- English: Shakespeare Studies
- MA Dissertation: "Interpreting and Performing Shakespeare for Actors and Audiences with Special Needs."
I look forward to completing a Ph.D within the next 10 years.
I was fortunate enough to take a year off, move to London, study Shakespeare full time, and earn my Master's degree by age 23. During this time abroad, I also did a lot of traveling! Some of my favorite places include:
- Amsterdam (Netherlands)
- Barcelona (Spain)
- Berlin (Germany)
- Brussels (Belgium)
- Dublin (Ireland)
- Liverpool, Bath, Stonehenge, and Stratford-Upon-Avon (United Kingdom)
- Paris (France)
- Venice, Florence, Pisa, and Lucca (Italy)
- I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2017 on a broken toe! But on the bright side, I was able to cross the finish line while raising money for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
- When I was a senior in high school, I competed on a game show called Know Your Heritage.
- I also pursue my love of theatre by auditioning and performing in local plays and musicals.
- I'm currently editing my Master's dissertation for publication in an academic journal. I eventually hope to publish my research into a book.
- I met Christopher Guest, aka Nigel Tufnel from the film This is Spinal Tap, at the Music Box Theater in Chicago. He answered my question during a Q&A session and then signed my copy of National Lampoon Lemmings!
- I met one of my favorite authors/essayists, David Sedaris, at Anderson's Bookstore in Naperville, IL. He signed my copy of Theft by Finding.
Words of Wisdom
Dr. Randy Pausch reprised his "Last Lecture" on the Oprah Winfrey Show just a few months before he succumbed to pancreatic cancer. His message is powerful and one that I share with students at the beginning of every school year. Here are a just few of my favorite quotes / lessons that Dr. Pausch shared:
- Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
- When you have a teacher or coach that expects a lot of you, it's because they care. When you're doing a bad job and no one points it out to you, that's when you know they've given up on you.
- The brick walls that are in our way are there for a reason. They are not there to keep us out. They are there to give us a way to show how much we want it.
- You can choose to take your finite time, energy and effort complaining, or you can spend it playing the game hard.
- Never underestimate the importance of having fun!